The Brain Injury Association of the Ottawa Valley is a non-profit organization that helps acquired brain injury survivors reconnect with their environment. For more information please call 613-233-8303 or send us an email from our contact page.
The Mission is to offer education, information, hope and support to persons with brain injury, their family members, friends, caregivers and professionals in the Ottawa Valley region.
The Association assists those who live with the effects of brain injury by providing education, information, support and advocacy. The Association advocates dignity, respect, inclusion and understanding for all.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2014-2015
For a list of our 2014-2015 Board of Directors click here to view the PDF
- Don’t forget to stop by our booth at the Vista Centre Brain Injury Awareness Day June 12th, 2015 at the Hampton Inn. For more information go to www.vistacentre.ca
- Brain Injury Association of the Ottawa Valley Annual General Meeting June 23rd, 2015 - Room 221 Bronson Centre (view PDF)
- June 18th, 2015 for the 2nd Annual Fleming Fitness Golf Tournament (view PDF)
- Eighty to ninety percent of all traumatic brain injury is classified as mild (mTBI)
- A concussion is a mild brain injury
- Brain injuries result in physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioural problems that are often misunderstood by friends, families, employers and others
- 21% of people with brain injury waited more than one year for rehabilitation to begin; 9% waited more than 5 years (http://obia.ca/the-obia-impact-report/
“Brain injuries can range from mild to catastrophic, but all brain injuries can have lasting effects,” said Ruth Wilcock, Executive Director of OBIA. “Sadly, a traumatic brain injury is a lifelong condition with varying degrees of disability ranging from minor to 24/7 care. Individuals who have sustained a traumatic brain injury often require immediate care at a trauma centre, acute care in the hospital, intensive rehabilitation and long term extensive care by family members.”
Thank You To Our Sponsors
Please read our message to our many Sponsors and Supporters. We would like to show our appreciation and say thank you for all of your support.
September 2013 Autumn Issue Newsletter
Click here to read our newsletter for the Autumn edition.
The Board of Directors would like to thank everyone for helping make our 5th Annual Fundraising Dinner , October 17th, 2011 at the Hampton Inn and Conference Centre a resounding success. Special thanks to Dr. Donald Chow for sharing his healing journey with a traumatic brain injury. Over $45,000 was raised through ticket sales, a silent and live auction and, of course, the sponsorships without whom this event would not have been possible.